After a long break (mostly centered around the arrival of kid #2), I’ve been able to start running again. Here’s a few related thoughts:
- I didn’t forget how to run. I was a little worried that picking up running again would be like starting from scratch. I was pleasantly surprised that I could jump back into 4-ish mile runs without much hassle.
- Running is still hard. Even though I’m not starting from scratch, running still isn’t all that fun or enjoyable while you’re doing it.
- Hills still stuck. I live on a hill, so there’s always climbing on the way out, or on the way back. I much prefer the former to the latter.
- The only thing that motivates me to run is running. Trying to get out for the first couple of runs was way harder than running after those first few runs.
- Running is still a great stress reliever and mood booster. I feel a lot more calm and less twitchy on running days. I also tend to eat less.
Keeping my fingers crossed that things will stay relatively calm at home and I keep pounding out the miles. Wish me luck!