As mentioned in the last post, I brought my little baby arrival betting app. While the general idea is the same as the version that I made for Jilly (aka Critter), I rewrote most of the code to experiment with some newer technologies. Here’s some details:
- Switched framework from CGI::Application to Mojolicious. Not terribly different coding wise, but Mojo seems to be faster to develop in. It also runs persistent via FastCGI.
- Rather than winging ORM, I’m giving DBIx::Class a shot. Makes the easy stuff easier, but ran into learning curve trying to do harder stuff. All in all, I think I like it though.
- YUI for frontend. Cut over all the prototype, scriptaculous, and protip stuff. Added a bunch of widgets (carousel, dialogs, tabs).
- Fancy web fonts from Google.
- Twitter integration. When bets are placed tweets are posted automatically. Recent tweets are fetched and cached for display on the bingo main page. Net::Twitter::Lite helped a lot here.
I’ve still got a few more features in mind, if I can ever find some time to and energy to get around to implementing them. Stay tuned.